SELECT CONTENT

book

View previous topic View next topic Go down

book Empty book

Post by hannahsoccerclubs1234 Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:19 am

is there any way that someone can post the pics of them in the poetry book? thanks

hannahsoccerclubs1234

Back to top Go down

book Empty Re: book

Post by MVMom39forever Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:38 am

No, that would be infringing on copyright laws. If you want to see pictures and are a fan, surely you will want to support them by buying a book. Costs just about the price of two Starbucks!
MVMom39forever
MVMom39forever

Female Posts : 2975

Back to top Go down

Post by JBF Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

So... what are everybody's opinions of The Book? Anybody hate it? Love it?

I liked it and was quite surprised by all of the emotional depth. Call me corny or hardly The Expert on "proper" stanzas, but I remember when so many of us bought James Stewart's poetry book back in 1989-90 (costing quite a bit more than this one if inflation is adjusted) and my copy is probably floating around in a storage unit. Nothing against the great movie star, but so many of them seemed more "cute" and well-composed. I don't remember any of them although many others still enjoy it apparently, going by Amazon reviews. That book got a TON of promotion... it was before the internet age and Johnny Carson participated. There was so much hullabaloo here on this forum about the onsite promotions for D+H (which were intended to be mostly humorous), but I don't think the goal here is to necessarily make the New York Times bestseller list.

The trio of "Revised Editions" (written going into Atlantic City), "Concealed Truth" (Munich) and "Closely Listening" (same day Drew blabbed to her about James in Barcelona?) are interesting in that they are exposing some things (and people) in an indirect way and without any names involved. We all know every season has a story behind The Storyline, but have to decide for ourselves if he is discussing what we saw happen on screen (like the James drama) or something that didn’t get aired.

"The Last and The First" is probably one of the best descriptions of what it is like to be on this show as a contestant.

By Madeira's "Day Dreaming", that boy was pretty gobsmacked with her, probably writing “Des” a hundred times in his notebooks. To quote his commentary: “… all of the guys with me at the time were excited to go out and explore the city, but the only thing I could do was daydream about the thought of her and I together forever”. Hey… her poem the week before (which we hear only 70% of on screen in episode #6) hardly suggests he is a future dumpee.  

Haven’t gone through all of the 2009 poems much, but a few already stand out as interesting. "As It Peers" was the one posted on instagram the day before the finale and some of us assumed it had to do with The Spoilers (wrong F1), but it is about a scoreboard, setting the stage for him dealing with and overcoming defeat. Also there’s a few relating to his family (all favorable of course since this apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and fellow players he didn’t get along with but found fascinating in their personalities.

Any other opinions here?
JBF
JBF

Back to top Go down

Post by soccermom333 Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

JBF wrote:So... what are everybody's opinions of The Book? Anybody hate it? Love it?

I liked it and was quite surprised by all of the emotional depth. Call me corny or hardly The Expert on "proper" stanzas, but I remember when so many of us bought James Stewart's poetry book back in 1989-90 (costing quite a bit more than this one if inflation is adjusted) and my copy is probably floating around in a storage unit. Nothing against the great movie star, but so many of them seemed more "cute" and well-composed. I don't remember any of them although many others still enjoy it apparently, going by Amazon reviews. That book got a TON of promotion... it was before the internet age and Johnny Carson participated. There was so much hullabaloo here on this forum about the onsite promotions for D+H (which were intended to be mostly humorous), but I don't think the goal here is to necessarily make the New York Times bestseller list.

The trio of "Revised Editions" (written going into Atlantic City), "Concealed Truth" (Munich) and "Closely Listening" (same day Drew blabbed to her about James in Barcelona?) are interesting in that they are exposing some things (and people) in an indirect way and without any names involved. We all know every season has a story behind The Storyline, but have to decide for ourselves if he is discussing what we saw happen on screen (like the James drama) or something that didn’t get aired.

"The Last and The First" is probably one of the best descriptions of what it is like to be on this show as a contestant.

By Madeira's "Day Dreaming", that boy was pretty gobsmacked with her, probably writing “Des” a hundred times in his notebooks. To quote his commentary: “… all of the guys with me at the time were excited to go out and explore the city, but the only thing I could do was daydream about the thought of her and I together forever”. Hey… her poem the week before (which we hear only 70% of on screen in episode #6) hardly suggests he is a future dumpee.  

Haven’t gone through all of the 2009 poems much, but a few already stand out as interesting. "As It Peers" was the one posted on instagram the day before the finale and some of us assumed it had to do with The Spoilers (wrong F1), but it is about a scoreboard, setting the stage for him dealing with and overcoming defeat. Also there’s a few relating to his family (all favorable of course since this apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and fellow players he didn’t get along with but found fascinating in their personalities.

Any other opinions here?

Thank you JBF! I always look forward to your posts. I will comment more in depth later but wanted to say thanks for starting this wonderful post and I hope it sparks some great discussions. I am still waiting for my copy but have a friend who bought a copy. I was able to look through hers and I too was pleasantly surprised. I'll be back later with more comments. Have a great day!
soccermom333
soccermom333

Female Posts : 6543

Back to top Go down

Post by Baseball Mom Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm

JBF wrote:So... what are everybody's opinions of The Book? Anybody hate it? Love it?

Any other opinions here?
JBF, my favorite of all the poems is 'The Loneliest Walk". Being a mom to a 15-year old who plays baseball and who also happens to be a left-handed pitcher just like Chris, I can totally relate to the emotion being expressed in this poem. My son has had to make that same walk a few times and it is heartbreaking. Baseball is such an unforgiving sport that requires so much skill and training, especially for pitchers. It also plays havoc on their psyche, as their is so much more at stake for them (some people will disagree with me, I know). I admire Chris so much for choosing to write poems as an outlet for his emotions instead of boozing it up at some bar with his friends. Shows the kind of man he is.
Baseball Mom
Baseball Mom

Female Posts : 922

Back to top Go down

Post by JBF Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 pm

You explained that one so well, but... *chuckle chuckle*... I'm hardly a sports fan and after reading his "follow me as I walk you through this poem in its entirety", I skipped over to the next one. (Wow! Is my attention span that short? How will I educate myself in The Meaning Of Life?) All joking aside, I did read "The Loneliest Walk" all the way through after reading your post.
JBF
JBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 pm

How many 27 year old men would be willing to put their emotional life on public display? I commend him for it and think it shows great maturity. I hope Des is counting her lucky stars that Chris was on the show and that she had a breakthrough in her thinking on him. No way did any other competitor have the depth of feeling and the openness in sharing.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5316

Back to top Go down

Post by soccermom333 Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Baseball Mom wrote:

Any other opinions here?
JBF, my favorite of all the poems is 'The Loneliest Walk". Being a mom to a 15-year old who plays baseball and who also happens to be a left-handed pitcher just like Chris, I can totally relate to the emotion being expressed in this poem. My son has had to make that same walk a few times and it is heartbreaking. Baseball is such an unforgiving sport that requires so much skill and training, especially for pitchers. It also plays havoc on their psyche, as their is so much more at stake for them (some people will disagree with me, I know). I admire Chris so much for choosing to write poems as an outlet for his emotions instead of boozing it up at some bar with his friends. Shows the kind of man he is.

Awwwww, Baseball Mom this is so touching. Love hearing your story about how it relates to you.  Being a mom myself, I understand the pain you feel when your child is hurting. We would do anything to take it away, even though sometimes lessons need to be learned and all we can do is continue to love them and support them.  I agree with you that Chris chose a healthy outlet.  Sadly, others choose less positive ways to handle the stress. sad happy for Chris that he finds such satisfaction from writing. I hope he continues. If they do end up making it, I have no doubt he would write something from the heart to her on their wedding day.

I believe Chris's thoughts were consumed by Des during the show. He was not afraid to express them to her in the show during their time together but also in his writing. I do believe there is so much producer manipulation during these shows.  I am sure we saw a very edited version of things. I remember at the conclusion of tristas season, Ryan made a comment about how he was not sure if she really chose him and not Charlie. Ha!

Thanks for the thoughts! :cutesmile!:

One more thing.... I totally agree JBF.... There is ALWAYS a storyboard!! :yes: 
soccermom333
soccermom333

Female Posts : 6543

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

book

+2
MVMom39forever